Saturday, January 27, 2007

Why have you chosen this career?

Question: Why do you want to make a career in ... (Sales, IT, HR, etc)?

The interviewer wants to learn what you know about the chosen career. Knowledge about the domain and the job shows the interviewer you are interested and demonstrates initiative on your part.

Sample answer:

I have always been a people's person and counselling is a skill that comes naturally to me. Armed with a Master's degree in HR, I believe a job as an HR executive will give me an opportunity to put my natural skill sets and education to practice.
Tip from Prabh Sharan, Training Manager, Kingfisher Airlines (Mumbai): "I would recommend that candidates present their interest and education as strong reasons for choosing a certain career. If you are making a career shift, then explaining the rational for such a move is also expected. Being honest helps.
I interviewed a candidate who said she would like to take up a job that pays her the most and the job we offered fitted that bill as she had some financial responsibilities in the family. She came across as sincere and dedicated, and we offered her the job."
As we said earlier, it's all about the answers.

Thanks to Hassan Ali

No comments: